70. Surah Al-Ma'arij - The Ways of Ascent (سورة المعارج)
Arabic Quran Recitation
English Quran Recitation
English and Arabic Quran Recitation
- Sa ala saaa'ilum bi'azaa binw-waaqi'
- Lilkaafireen laisa lahoo daafi'
- Minal laahi zil ma'aarij
- Ta'rujul malaaa'ikatu war Roohu ilaihi fee yawmin kaana miqdaaruhoo khamseena alfa sanah
- Fasbir ssabran jameelaa
- Inaahum yarawnahoo ba'eedaa
- Wa naraahu qareebaa
- Yawma takoonus samaaa'u kalmuhl
- Wa takoonul jibaalu kal'ihn
- Wa laa yas'alu hameemun hameemaa
- Yubassaroonahum; ya waddul mujrimu law yaftadee min 'azaabi yawma'izim bibaneeh
- Wa saahibatihee wa akheeh
- Wa faseelathil latee tu'weeh
- Wa man fil ardi jamee'an summa yunjeeh
- Kallaa innahaa lazaa
- Nazzaa'atal lishshawaa
- Tad'oo man adbara wa tawallaa
- Wa jama'a fa aw'aa
- Innal insaana khuliqa haloo'aa
- Izaa massahush sharru jazoo'aa
- Wa izaa massahul khairu manoo'aa
- Illal musalleen
- Allazeena hum 'alaa Salaatihim daaa'imoon
- Wallazeena feee amwaalihim haqqum ma'loom
- Lissaaa 'ili walmahroom
- Wallazeena yusaddiqoona bi yawmid Deen
- Wallazeena hum min 'azaabi Rabbihim mushfiqoon
- Inna 'azaaba Rabbihim ghairu maamoon
- Wallazeena hum lifuroo jihim haafizoon
- Illaa 'alaaa azwaajihim aw maa malakat aymaanuhum fainnahum ghairu maloomeen
- Famanib taghaa waraaa'a zaalika fa ulaaa'ika humul 'aadoon
- Wallazeena hum li amaa naatihim wa 'ahdihim raa'oon
- Wallazeena hum bishahaadaatihim qaaa'imoon
- Wallazeena hum 'alaa salaatihim yuhaafizoon
- Ulaaa'ika fee jannaatim mukramoon
- Famaa lil lazeena kafaroo qibalaka muhti'een
- 'Anil yameeni wa 'anish shimaali 'izeen
- Ayatma'u kullum ri'im minhum anyyudkhala jannata Na'eem
- Kallaaa innaa khalaq nahum mimmaa ya'lamoon
- Falaaa uqsimu bi Rabbil mashaariqi wal maghaaribi innaa laqaadiroon
- 'Alaaa an nubaddila khairam minhum wa maa Nahnu bimasbooqeen
- Fazarhum yakhoodoo wa yal'aboo hattaa yulaaqoo yaw mahumul lazee yoo'adoon
- Yawma yakhrujoona minal ajdaasi siraa'an ka anna hum ilaa nusubiny yoofidoon
- Khaashi'atan absaaruhum tarhaquhum zillah; zaalikal yawmul lazee kaanoo yoo'adoon
- A questioner asked about a Penalty to befall-
- The Unbelievers, the which there is none to ward off,-
- (A Penalty) from Allah, Lord of the Ways of Ascent.
- The angels and the spirit ascend unto him in a Day the measure whereof is (as) fifty thousand years:
- Therefore do thou hold Patience,- a Patience of beautiful (contentment).
- They see the (Day) indeed as a far-off (event):
- But We see it (quite) near.
- The Day that the sky will be like molten brass,
- And the mountains will be like wool,
- And no friend will ask after a friend,
- Though they will be put in sight of each other,- the sinner´s desire will be: Would that he could redeem himself from the Penalty of that Day by (sacrificing) his children,
- His wife and his brother,
- His kindred who sheltered him,
- And all, all that is on earth,- so it could deliver him:
- By no means! for it would be the Fire of Hell!-
- Plucking out (his being) right to the skull!-
- Inviting (all) such as turn their backs and turn away their faces (from the Right).
- And collect (wealth) and hide it (from use)!
- Truly man was created very impatient;-
- Fretful when evil touches him;
- And niggardly when good reaches him;-
- Not so those devoted to Prayer;-
- Those who remain steadfast to their prayer;
- And those in whose wealth is a recognised right.
- For the (needy) who asks and him who is prevented (for some reason from asking);
- And those who hold to the truth of the Day of Judgment;
- And those who fear the displeasure of their Lord,-
- For their Lord´s displeasure is the opposite of Peace and Tranquillity;-
- And those who guard their chastity,
- Except with their wives and the (captives) whom their right hands possess,- for (then) they are not to be blamed,
- But those who trespass beyond this are transgressors;-
- And those who respect their trusts and covenants;
- And those who stand firm in their testimonies;
- And those who guard (the sacredness) of their worship;-
- Such will be the honoured ones in the Gardens (of Bliss).
- Now what is the matter with the Unbelievers that they rush madly before thee-
- From the right and from the left, in crowds?
- Does every man of them long to enter the Garden of Bliss?
- By no means! For We have created them out of the (base matter) they know!
- Now I do call to witness the Lord of all points in the East and the West that We can certainly-
- Substitute for them better (men) than they; And We are not to be defeated (in Our Plan).
- So leave them to plunge in vain talk and play about, until they encounter that Day of theirs which they have been promised!-
- The Day whereon they will issue from their sepulchres in sudden haste as if they were rushing to a goal-post (fixed for them),-
- Their eyes lowered in dejection,- ignominy covering them (all over)! such is the Day the which they are promised!
1. سَأَلَ سَائِلٌ بِعَذَابٍ وَاقِعٍ
2. لِلْكَافِرِينَ لَيْسَ لَهُ دَافِعٌ
3. مِنَ اللَّهِ ذِي الْمَعَارِجِ
4. تَعْرُجُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ إِلَيْهِ فِي يَوْمٍ كَانَ مِقْدَارُهُ خَمْسِينَ أَلْفَ سَنَةٍ
5. فَاصْبِرْ صَبْرًا جَمِيلًا
6. إِنَّهُمْ يَرَوْنَهُ بَعِيدًا
7. وَنَرَاهُ قَرِيبًا
8. يَوْمَ تَكُونُ السَّمَاءُ كَالْمُهْلِ
9. وَتَكُونُ الْجِبَالُ كَالْعِهْنِ
10. وَلَا يَسْأَلُ حَمِيمٌ حَمِيمًا
11. يُبَصَّرُونَهُمْ ۚ يَوَدُّ الْمُجْرِمُ لَوْ يَفْتَدِي مِنْ عَذَابِ يَوْمِئِذٍ بِبَنِيهِ
12. وَصَاحِبَتِهِ وَأَخِيهِ
13. وَفَصِيلَتِهِ الَّتِي تُؤْوِيهِ
14. وَمَنْ فِي الْأَرْضِ جَمِيعًا ثُمَّ يُنْجِيهِ
15. كَلَّا ۖ إِنَّهَا لَظَىٰ
16. نَزَّاعَةً لِلشَّوَىٰ
17. تَدْعُو مَنْ أَدْبَرَ وَتَوَلَّىٰ
18. وَجَمَعَ فَأَوْعَىٰ
19. إِنَّ الْإِنْسَانَ خُلِقَ هَلُوعًا
20. إِذَا مَسَّهُ الشَّرُّ جَزُوعًا
21. وَإِذَا مَسَّهُ الْخَيْرُ مَنُوعًا
22. إِلَّا الْمُصَلِّينَ
23. الَّذِينَ هُمْ عَلَىٰ صَلَاتِهِمْ دَائِمُونَ
24. وَالَّذِينَ فِي أَمْوَالِهِمْ حَقٌّ مَعْلُومٌ
25. لِلسَّائِلِ وَالْمَحْرُومِ
26. وَالَّذِينَ يُصَدِّقُونَ بِيَوْمِ الدِّينِ
27. وَالَّذِينَ هُمْ مِنْ عَذَابِ رَبِّهِمْ مُشْفِقُونَ
28. إِنَّ عَذَابَ رَبِّهِمْ غَيْرُ مَأْمُونٍ
29. وَالَّذِينَ هُمْ لِفُرُوجِهِمْ حَافِظُونَ
30. إِلَّا عَلَىٰ أَزْوَاجِهِمْ أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُهُمْ فَإِنَّهُمْ غَيْرُ مَلُومِينَ
31. فَمَنِ ابْتَغَىٰ وَرَاءَ ذَٰلِكَ فَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الْعَادُونَ
32. وَالَّذِينَ هُمْ لِأَمَانَاتِهِمْ وَعَهْدِهِمْ رَاعُونَ
33. وَالَّذِينَ هُمْ بِشَهَادَاتِهِمْ قَائِمُونَ
34. وَالَّذِينَ هُمْ عَلَىٰ صَلَاتِهِمْ يُحَافِظُونَ
35. أُولَٰئِكَ فِي جَنَّاتٍ مُكْرَمُونَ
36. فَمَالِ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا قِبَلَكَ مُهْطِعِينَ
37. عَنِ الْيَمِينِ وَعَنِ الشِّمَالِ عِزِينَ
38. أَيَطْمَعُ كُلُّ امْرِئٍ مِنْهُمْ أَنْ يُدْخَلَ جَنَّةَ نَعِيمٍ
39. كَلَّا ۖ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاهُمْ مِمَّا يَعْلَمُونَ
40. فَلَا أُقْسِمُ بِرَبِّ الْمَشَارِقِ وَالْمَغَارِبِ إِنَّا لَقَادِرُونَ
41. عَلَىٰ أَنْ نُبَدِّلَ خَيْرًا مِنْهُمْ وَمَا نَحْنُ بِمَسْبُوقِينَ
42. فَذَرْهُمْ يَخُوضُوا وَيَلْعَبُوا حَتَّىٰ يُلَاقُوا يَوْمَهُمُ الَّذِي يُوعَدُونَ
43. يَوْمَ يَخْرُجُونَ مِنَ الْأَجْدَاثِ سِرَاعًا كَأَنَّهُمْ إِلَىٰ نُصُبٍ يُوفِضُونَ
44. خَاشِعَةً أَبْصَارُهُمْ تَرْهَقُهُمْ ذِلَّةٌ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ الْيَوْمُ الَّذِي كَانُوا يُوعَدُونَ
The Surah takes its name from the word dhil Ma'arij in verse 3.
Period of Revelation
The subject matter bears evidence that this Surah too was sent down in conditions closely resembling those under which Surah Al Haaqqah was sent down.
Theme and Subject Matter
It admonishes and gives warning to the disbelievers who made fun of the news about Resurrection and the Hereafter, and Hell and Heaven, and challenged the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) to cause Resurrection with which he threatened them to take place if what he said was true and they had become worthy of the punishment in Hell by denying it. The whole Surah is meant to answer this denial.
The Surah opens with words to the effect: "A demander has demanded a torment, the torment which must befall the deniers; and when it takes place, there will be none to prevent it, but it will take place at its own appointed time. Allah has His own way of doing things, but He is not unjust. Therefore, have patience, O Prophet, at what they say. They think it is far off, but We see it as near at hand."
Then it is said:" Resurrection, which they desire to be hastened out of jest and fun, is terrible, and when it comes, it will cause great distress to the culprits. At that time they will even be prepared to give away their wives and children and their nearest kinsfolk in ransom to escape the punishment, but they will not be able to escape it.
Then the people have been warned to the effect; "On that Day the destinies of men will be decided strictly on the basis of their belief and their conduct. Those who turn away from the Truth in the world and amass wealth and withhold it from the needy, will be doomed to Hell; and those who fear the punishment of God here, believe in the Hereafter, keep up the Prayer, discharge the rights of the needy out of their wealth, strictly avoid immoral and wicked deeds, practice honesty in all their dealings, fulfill their pledges and trust and bear true witness, will have a place of honor in Paradise"
In conclusion, the disbelievers of Makkah who rushed in upon the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) from every side as soon as they saw him, in order to make fun of him, have been warned to the effect: "If you do not believe, Allah will replace you by other people who will be better than you", and the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) has been consoled, so as to say: "Do not take to heart their mockery and jesting; leave them to indulge in their idle talk and foolish conduct if they are bent upon experiencing the disgrace and humiliation of the Resurrection; they will themselves see their evil end."'